Friday, June 28, 2024

rethinking appreciation #2

i fully believe appreciation is the most important quality/characteristic/trait any of us can possess. good mental health starts with our ability to see value in places where other people aren't even looking. now through the end of the year, i'm challenging myself to find something new to appreciate every week.


this week i had the opportunity to appreciate an experience most Americans dread and try to avoid.

jury duty. 

that's right. I appreciate jury duty.

even thought I didn't get selected, I went through the interview process.

we've all seen courtroom dramas. this is the part that's not sexy enough to make it on the screen. this was a chance to look behind the curtain, see how court really operates. 

the system isn't perfect, and this isn't about that. for this case, the lawyers were invested in finding a diverse, qualified jury of the defendant's peers. I got the feeling that all involved were there to uphold the sanctity of the law. no ulterior motives. no radical political power play. it was refreshing to be reminded that court is more than a lurid den of ridiculously attractive snakes.  

and based on their answers, I believe the jurors were equally invested in the process of finding justice. 

it's asking a lot to have someone miss multiple days of their life, for $10 a day, and decide the fate of a person they don't know.

being on a jury is time consuming. it can be boring. it feels like splitting the same hair over and over, lawyers arguing the relevance of every letter and vocal inflection. 

but as I was sitting there, looking at the defendant, I knew that if I was in his position I would want a room full of people who were, to the best of their ability, trying to ensure that the system works. 

for all of its flaws, I appreciate our judicial system.

and I appreciate anyone who has ever served and taken their responsibility seriously. 



for information on individual therapy, contact me at bradleyjabel@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment