Sunday, August 18, 2024

rethinking appreciation #8

when I started this experiment, I was convinced that appreciation was the most important trait for good mental health. getting lost in the wonders of nature made me realize I was wrong. 

as I admired a cluster of wildflowers teeming with pollinators, my mind buzzed with questions.

how do the bees and butterflies find the flowers that have nectar? 

does the flower produce more nectar after the bees and butterflies sip from it?

how did this random patch of wildflowers magically pop up in one spot of my yard? 

and that's when it hit me.

before we can be appreciative, we have to be curious. 

we have to be willing to ask questions and look for answers.

curiosity is the main ingredient for all things mentally healthy.

before we can grow as people, we have to ask honest questions about ourselves. and we have to look for healthy answers.

we have to be open to the idea that other answers exist. 

beyond that, almost every major advancement in human civilization started with someone wondering what's on the other side. or how can I make this better. or is this possible. or simply what if. 

I believe there are 5 characteristics critical to good mental health: appreciation, humility, empathy and forgiveness. none of them happen without curiosity.  

we should continue to appreciate the world.

what we have.

what we do.

what others have and do.

but above all else, be curious. 



for information on individual therapy, contact me at bradleyjabel@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment